Wednesday, February 11, 2015

La santità della domenica (Vicenza - Week 27)

Hey everyone, another week, another paycheck I'm not getting. I'm totally kidding, I receive lots of blessings, and more than I should be getting. This week was another packed week of adventure and memories.

There is an Italian named Antonio Perretti that lives here in Vicenza. He is the world's number 1 barefoot runner and his professional race name he goes by is Tom Perry. Our senior couple here in Vicenza ran into him a transfer or so ago, and he wanted to meet with them because of L. Tom Perry. Note that the Pederson's do not speak Italian, and Tom does not speak English. The Pedersons told me that he said to them in broken English "Tom Perry number 1 barefoot runner, L Tom Perry number 1 apostle" I thought that was hilarious. Anyways, the Pedersons had us call him to set up a dinner appointment with him because Sis Pederson is related to L Tom Perry and got an Italian Libro Di Mormon signed and sent here to Italy for Tom. The night of the dinner, my companion as well as our district leader, had tickets to a play for Pday. So that meant I had sole responsibility to be the mouthpiece the whole dinner appointment, because the trainee in our district would not be able to say hardly anything. I was a little worried, not because I don't know Italian, but because of the vocabulary I would have to swap from Italian to English and English to Italian. The night looked like it was going to start rough because Tom started speaking in a dialect I was not too familiar with, and Elder Pederson was using words that are not the easiest to translate into Italian. But the night went well, and I was able to create a great relationship with Tom and get everything spoken by everyone into the appropriate language. It was quite a crazy night for me.

Eddie and Daniele both had other commitments on Sunday and could not come to church, BUT they are still both progressing really really well. We taught Eddie about all the commandments that God has given us, and why we are given commandments. The more commandments God gives us, the more opportunities he has to bless us. I personally before studying to teach him that, never really comprehended that. It can sometimes be hard when more and more rules are given, but what happens when we follow the commandments of God? We are blessed eternally! Also while we were teaching Eddie, his friend Ken joined in on the conversation and we have started to teach him as well, and he wants to be baptized as well!

With Daniele, we taught La Parola di Saggezza e la legge di Castità. He had previously asked us if we drank coffee and tea, because he has had previous encounters with missionaries, and we told him we don't. So when we started teaching him the next lesson he told us that the following day after he had asked us about coffee and tea, that he thought it was finally time for him to stop drinking them. We were so excited to hear that, especially because we hadn't even asked him to stop yet, because we hadn't taught him yet. It was a testimony to me, that the spirit prepares us in ways that lead us closer to him, even before we are taught the principles of why. He has to come to church 3 times before he can be baptized, so I will more than likely leave before he is baptized, but I am just grateful to be teaching him and be able to see his progression in this great gospel.

I have been thinking a lot about the importance of the sabbath day and a lot of stuff came to my mind. The Sacrament. The renewing of our baptismal covenants we made with our Heavenly Father. Why would we not want to go to church and be made clean again through the sacrament. It blows my mind now when I think about the times I wanted to skip church and do other things. Every time I invite an investigator to church I always tell them, when they say they don't have a lot of time, to come to the hour we have sacrament because that is the most important part of church. Why are we so willing to set other things in our schedule that take away from our time to worship our Father? When we have no choice to work on Sunday, we should still set aside time to be for our growth in the gospel and for us to have the opportunity to think of him. The Lord does not expect us to quit a job if that is the only way we can provide for a family, but he expects us to do all we can to have our Sunday set aside for him. Why would he ask us to do that? Because he wants us to come closer to him and be faithful so we can stand strong at the last day.

One last thought Alma 17:11
Andate fra i [Italiani], vostri fratelli, e stabilite la mia parola; tuttavia siate pazienti nella sopportazione e nelle afflizioni, per poter mostrare loro un buon esempio in me; e io farò di voi uno strumento nelle mie mani per la salvezza di molte anime.
As a missionary, I love this verse. Go unto thy brethren in faith, in patience. There will be hard times but be a good example of me, and I will make thee an instrument that brings salvation to the people. What greater promise does God give us when we go in faith to proclaim the gospel to our fellow brethren. He has promised and will always fulfill this promise to help us when we desire to teach the restored gospel to those who have not received it.

I hope everyone has a great week and that everyone will want to enjoy the blessings of the sabbath day!

Anziano Chase



No comments:

Post a Comment