Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Cinghiale?! - Week 76

Hey everyone! Once again another week is over in the Italian adventure. It currently is raining, and by the looks of it, I might be wet for the next week or so... This week I feel especially old, because all the sister missionaries in my group finished their missions... It is weird to think that they are gone, but I'm glad I have 5 months to go.

This week was really nice. We were able to meet with C. and P. and they took us out to a family owned restaurant that has been a Gorizia original for many years. We've been friendshipping them for a while and we're finally able to get a night with them where they were not working in their shop they own. We had a great discussion about the restoration and P. just was so happy and just is so open to here more. We really like them and know our branch members would just love them too. A cool thing that happened on the way back was near the beginning hills of the alps there are some wild boars that come and destroy farms, etc. but the only like to show up in the dark. Anyways, we were driving with them in their car and saw a huge boar make a dash for the hills. It was huge!! My comp and I kind of want to go boar hunting now haha.

P. is making good progress, we have been trekking along and this week we really focused on reading the Book of Mormon. It is our personal shield for the day. It gives us aid when we are week. He really liked that, especially because he is far away from any family. He invited us to play soccer with him and some other older Italians, and it was a blast. I'm still feeling a little sore in my calves from it. 

M. is doing good, he really is trying to follow our invites, and we have been focusing on the love for our Heavenly Father being our motive to change. There should be no other greater reason to follow the gospel or keep his commandments. 

Z. is a stud. We focused on missionary work this week with him, and he just loves to sing. He used to be a choir director back in his home many years ago. So we talked about how he can use that talent to help others. He loves the lyrics that come from music and can use it as testimony of his faith to others.

This week I have really been focusing on a story that President Hinkley taught over 30 years ago.  "Then-Elder Gordon B. Hinckley spoke of meeting a young naval officer from Asia. The officer had not been a Christian, but during training in the United States, he had learned about the Church and was baptized. He was now preparing to return to his native land. President Hinckley asked the officer: “Your people are not Christians. What will happen when you return home a Christian, and, more particularly, a Mormon Christian?” The officer’s face clouded, and he replied: “My family will be disappointed. … As for my future and my career, all opportunity may be foreclosed against me.” President Hinckley asked, “Are you willing to pay so great a price for the gospel?”With his dark eyes moistened by tears, he answered with a question: “It’s true, isn’t it?” President Hinckley responded, “Yes, it is true.” To which the officer replied, “Then what else matters?"
Just like how Elder Lee (who is serving in Peru right now! #doingworkdownthere) was talking about truth, and how when we act on truth they gain knowledge, the same story applies here. When we know something to be true, we don't need to worry about anything else. We have a greater knowledge of our purpose, that others can choose to listen to or not. I am likewise bringing the truth I have to the people of Italia and I continue to receive help true application of this truth. I know I am here and that I have received a knowledge of the true gospel of Jesus Christ. Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment